The Devil is in the Details: Square D-3

While the first half of the day was consumed by errands and lessons, by the time early afternoon had officially arrived, I was free to work on the-afghan-that-has-eluded-me. I sat down with my trusty 4.5 mm hook and portable stash of Red Heart Super Saver yarn, opened “the book” and began working on Square D-3.

It should have been simple. I knew it should have been simple; yet, no matter how hard I tried, I ended up with a tangled mess, and in the process, I came to see the mistake I had made in Square D-4 as well as Square D-3.

While Squares D-1 and D-2 may well have been made, as described in the directions, by working a row of single crochet across a previous row of stitches, then chaining one stitch at the end, turning, and going back, Squares D-3, D-4, and D-5 were not made the same way.

I began Square D- 3 with high hopes and a spring green chain comprised of 17 stitches. I made the first single crochet in the 2nd chain from the hook and worked a single crochet in each stitch of the foundation chain so that I ended up with 16 single crochet stitches. In the 16th stitch of that row, I changed colors from spring green to blue, chained one stitch, and turned the entire piece. I continued working like that and attempted to duplicate the square pictured, but to no avail. Some attempts were neater than others, but all of them fell short; then I finally noticed something that should have been plain to me all along: all of the single crochet stitches looked the same.

When you work rows of single crochet by crocheting to one end, chaining one, turning, and then crocheting to the other end, the rows do not all look the same. Odd numbered rows have one side of the single crochet stitch facing while even numbered rows have the other side of the stitch facing. What was plain to see in the photos I had been looking at was that all of the rows of single crochet in squares D-3, D-4, and D-5 had been worked from right to left with no turns. This meant that every row had to have at least two ends woven in and that I should have been working from the front of the piece all along.

While this was not evident in the written directions for Squares D-4 and D-5 which referred to squares D-1 and D-2 for directions, there was a subtle clue in the directions for Square D-3 in that the direction to chain one stitch and turn was omitted. The pattern did not state that the square was only worked across the front, but the omission was the only hint in the written directions that something was different in this square than in the squares that preceded it.

Eventually, I worked the square in such a way that it much more closely resembles the square pictured than my previous efforts had.

Here is what I came up with:

crochet rectangle for a crochet blanket
Crochet Square D-3

Sometimes you can only learn by doing something wrong as many times as you need to until you get it right.

After spending what felt like way too much time making what seemed like a rather small square, I laid out all of the pieces to get a better sense of where I am with the project:

granny square crochet blanket
The crochet afghan that has eluded me in medias res

Now that I have found the problem with Square D-4, I will, no doubt, feel compelled to make a new Square D-4. At least this time, I’ll know what I’m doing.

Which brings me back to one of my favorite bedtime stories.

There were seven in his bed, then the little one said, “Roll over, roll over.” So they all rolled over, and then there were six.

Join the loveliness
Subscribe to Crochetbug via e-mail. Fill out this form, then click the link you will receive by e-mail.
Share