The vinx stole begins to take shape

This weekend, after fussing with several ear options, I finally settled on one of the options, made two of them, and then attached them to vinx I had crocheted from Red Heart Super Saver Accent orchid:

The first vinx face with ears
The first vinx face with ears

I am probably reading too much into the addition of two crochet ears to a purple crochet vinx, but to my mind, the ears transform the vinx from being passive to being active; from simply enduring to actually being an agent for change and adventure.

Again, I am probably reading to much into it.

So I move forward, crocheting one stitch and then another.

I make notes.

I rewrite said notes into usable text that might possibly be understood by others so that they might make their own vinx stole, and I get out my phone and take photos to document the process in case the words fail.

In the early evening when there is still light, I lay out all of the pieces I have so far into an arrangement approximating how they will be assembled when the piece is finished.

Here is an overview:

An overview of the three vinx in medias res
An overview of the three vinx in medias res

and here is a view from another angle:

The view from another angle of the same vinxes
The view from another angle of the same vinxes

The vinx stole project is coming together with relative ease, and I have to resist the urge to improve on what is working. There is a certain conceit that can be hard to overcome; the notion that I as a designer am creating a project.

But the truth is that designing is more like an archaeological dig where I unearth and gently brush away the debris that has accumulated to reveal the riches already there.

Share