As I work my way through the two nearest balls of scrap yarn in my collection:
I have come across more than one yarn scrap that is shorter (under 8″) than what is optimal for the project I am currently working on. So I unknot those scraps and pull them out of the yarn ball they are a part of and set them in a pile while I re-knot the ends of the longer scraps and continue on my way.
Eventually, however, I find that it behooves me to compile the shorter ends into one length of scrap yarn which I can then wind into a ball of “shorter” yarn scraps, but all of that was interrupted today when my cat, Stripes, had a cat emergency.
I won’t go into the details, but suffice it to say it was messy, required the attention of a veterinarian, and Stripes was sufficiently uncomfortable that she let me hoist her into a utility sink so I could wash off some of the mess.
After I got an appointment made and found her cat carrier, we were on our way:
and while she wasn’t exactly happy with me, she also did not give me as much grief as she usually does. I don’t know if it was the pain, or if it was just that I was her ride and she knew she needed one, but she even impressed the veterinarian with her coöperative spirit.
After her treatment was completed, we headed home.
I got her situated:
and I was able to return to working on my crochet.
I started by tying the shorter ends together so that they would not get lost and collect any more pet hair than they already have:
then I worked as many rows as I could before the sun set on the day:
While it does, in many ways, seem as if this project is moving quite slowly, the truth is, before I know it, the two yarn balls I have been working from will no longer exist, and then the hunt for scraps in my yarn empire will once again be on.