If, as some have asserted, a picture is worth a thousand words, then tonight’s blog post should be good for 7,000, not including any commentary I might add.
Today I continued my efforts (slowly but surely) to finish the hunter green bag that I began last Thursday.
The first thing I wanted to get done was to make a modest gusset. I started by turning the bag inside out:
Then I made a running stitch using a yarn needle and a contrasting color of yarn to mark the lines I would use to guide the placement of the gusset:
Next, I pulled the bottom corners of the bag out to form a triangle on either side. Here is one view:
and here is another:
With the lines of demarcation set, I used a 5.5mm hook and more of the hunter green yarn to secure the triangles:
With the gusset in place, I turned my attention to the more decorative elements. Using my pom pom making set, I made a couple of pom poms, only to discover that in order to make an awesome pom pom (instead of simply a sad, misshapen one) it is necessary to try and try and try again.
So I decided to crochet decorative balls instead.
Here is how they looked in a their group photo:
and here is how they looked with their bag-to-be:
I don’t know that I am entirely satisfied with the gusset as it is. I may remove it and make it a bit wider before I line the bag, but I know that eventually the doing will trump the undoing, and when all is said and done, I will be glad that I ventured outside my color comfort zone to make this bag.