Road test for Quadrant Blanket completed

A week ago today, (June 2, 2010), I started working on a free granny square pattern I had found at loop knits for a project called the Quadrant Blanket.

Despite the fact that I did not complete this project exactly as directed, the project gets two thumbs up for elegance and ease.

This is what my version of the Quadrant Blanket looked like before I added the border:

granny square crochet blanket
My Quadrant Blanket before adding a crochet border

The first difference between the blanket I made and the original was in the yarn that was used. The original was made with Blue Sky Dyed Cotton yarn while I used Red Heart Super Saver.

Another difference between mine and the original: size.

I tend to crochet loosely, and this project was no exception. My first finished size was 34″ x 34″. This is 3 inches larger than the original. I would have gotten closer to the stated gauge if I had used a 4.5 mm or 4.0 mm hook.

I say first finished size because I did end up making one change. In the original pattern, the four main granny squares are joined and then framed with two rounds of 3dc groups in a different color altogether. While this looked wonderful on the original, I did not think that my version benefited from the addition of a 9th color:

granny square crochet blanket
My Quadrant Crochet Blanket with crochet border

So, after I finished it and photographed it, my twelve-year-old graciously agreed to frog the final two rounds for me.

After he frogged the two outer rounds, I then added a border of single crochet. Using the same color of yarn as the square itself, I crocheted one single crochet stitch in each double crochet and chain with the exception for the corners where I made three single crochets over each of the chain-2 spaces:

granny square crochet blanket
My finished Quadrant Crochet Blanket

Overall, I loved this project.

In my original post about this project, I said I wanted to determine if the Quadrant Blanket was genuinely a good project for a new crocheter, and the answer is an overwhelming yes. The directions were impeccable.

Next, on my list, it needed to be portable. The project is eminently portable and can be completed even if you have a crazy number of obligations and errands.

Third, I wanted something I could give to my mom to give to her neighbor to have on hand for her grandbaby to be. To that end, I will be blocking this project with a warm water and vinegar soak. I have found that this makes acrylic fibers drape better and makes the fabric less scratchy.

I also think it would do well as a nine patch, or as a vehicle for a color study a la Josef Albers.

This project met my trifecta of needs and will continue to be a source for both blankets and inspiration.

Join the loveliness
Subscribe to Crochetbug via e-mail. Fill out this form, then click the link you will receive by e-mail.
Share