In the life of any larger project (and a number of smaller ones) there can be a period of time where the project looks nothing like what they will be. Its bits and pieces don’t seem to bear a resemblance to the final project it will become.
Such was the case with me and the project I am working on that currently has most of my attention: the go-go granny dress based on Maryse Roudier’s pattern.
The first three days I worked on it, it seemed to me to be just granny squares and granny square bits. I could not see in the pieces I had made the dress they wanted to become.
I spent most of yesterday morning in a waiting room, and while I waited, I made more granny squares. I wove in ends and tried to figure out which colors to use. At the time, I did not think that I had made that much progress. Instead, it seemed that any time I started to gain traction with the project, I would have to pack up and move to the next thing,
But today, after completing several of the squares-to-be that I had begun yesterday while waiting, I reached a tipping point where I could begin to see what form the dress would take:
At the time, the few stitches that I was able to make in the small moments of time that presented themselves to me had not seemed like much, but over the course of twenty-four hours, the stolen moments, combined with the longer stretches resulted in six more squares being finished, and another half-dozen squares in various stages of completion.
Fourteen squares completed, 80 squares to go.