I still have a way to go, but I am making progress on my efforts to resize random squares that are scattered about my crochet empire so that they are either five-inches or six inches square.
To that end I had two versions of a crochet square 63 made using Jean Leinhauser’s motif pattern in the book 101 Crochet Squares.
Made using different size hooks, one of the squares was a little too small:
and one was a little too large:
As a result, what needed to be done to rehab each square was different.
For the top square, I needed to add some height to the last round of stitches and square up the corners a bit. I started by frogging the last round, and then crocheting half double crochet stitches where there had been single crochet stitches, and beefing up the number of stitches in each corner to make them more square. It turned out to be a fairly straight forward fix except that I didn’t have any tea leaf yarn handy to finish the crocheting once I had figured out what to do.
The bottom square, although the same design, was a bit more complicated.
Instead of being a little to small, it was a little too large, and the remedy for this require that I frog both the last and the second-to last rounds. As of this writing, my efforts have not yet born the fruit of a six-inch square, but I have at least eliminated about six options that at some point seemed workable.
So to give myself some perspective and hope to power through to the end, I decided that a brief — and as it turns out, incomplete — overview might help motivate me.
Here is a group photo of four of the five-inch squares:
and here is a photo of twelve of the six-inch squares:
This project is not something I would have thought to do on my own, but after I have rehabbed all of the squares that can be converted to five or six inch motifs, I might just take what I have learned and rehab my many random squares into pieces that can be more easily fit together, and then do exactly that.