Today’s weather (in advance of the remnants/outer edges of Sandy which are expected to arrive this weekend bearing at least a couple of inches of rain) was as wonderful as yeterday’s, so as soon as the sun had risen and chased off any chill, I set myself up outside and picked up where I had left off yesterday as sunset neared: with square B-4.
I both love and hate this square.
I love it because it is awesome; I hate it because it is a difficult fit. At one point it cups, and then, after a couple of rounds, it begins to flatten out, but it does not (as is hinted at in the photo) behave on its own:
Once I had B-4 completed, I began work on the leftmost square of the row: F-1.
Except for a couple of color hesitations that were frogged early on, it was a straight forward endeavor:
With these two squares completed, I turned my attention back to D-2, a square that has proved troublesome because when made as called for in the directions, it did not fit as well as I would have liked.
Here is my first effort making the square for this fat bag project on its own:
and here is how it appeared with its neighboring squares:
Crocheting with a 3.5mm hook and worsted weight yarn creates a firm fabric that will better hold its shape, but that firmness also makes the fabric created less forgiving, so rather than attempt to make the somewhat too large square that I had already made fit with the noticeably smaller squares, I decided to make a similar, but smaller cousin to square D-2 which can be seen on its own here:
and here with its fat bag-to-be compatriots:
I have one “square” yet to make for this bag, which is not really one square, but two small squares joined to make a rectangle that fits between squares F-1 and B-4, and then, I will be ready to begin the process of taking these squares and making them into what I hope is a spectacular fat bag.