Day 7: in which I clean out a cubby and revisit the long dormant quadrant blanket

A week into my efforts of organizing finds that I have made progress, but as always, it is slower than I would like.

Part of this is my talent for grossly underestimating the amount of work involved, but an even more substantial part of it is the way in which one thing leads to another.

This fact was in full evidence this morning.

After starting a pot of coffee, I went upstairs to clear out a cubby so that I would have a place to put the interesting assortment of boxes that I have been collecting to use for a future project I have in mind.

Removing things from the cubby was simple enough, but then begged the question: what to do with the stuff in the cubby?

Today’s crochet artifact was a lapghan I made using Craig Rosenfeld’s Quadrant Blanket pattern and an assortment of Red Heart Super Saver yarns:

My Quadrant Blanket before adding a border

Initially, I was pretty faithful to the pattern. I thought I had an intended recipient, and I was determined to get it done, and I did (sort of), but the truth is, I was never entirely satisfied with my rendition of this project, and once it was out of the cubby, it was clear to me that it was in need of revision.

After some thought, I decided that the revision it needed was two more squares:

I work on expanding the quadrant blanket

However, once I had the first of the two additional squares done and had gotten a substantial start on the second square, I decide that what it really needed was six more squares to bring it to an even dozen.

My guess is that these revisions and a new border will take a week to ten days at which point I will be able to officially call the project done and then go about the business of finding a home where it is used rather than stored.

With my new plans for the Quadrant Blanket well underway, I left the house in the afternoon with a purse full of yarn and my set of crochet hooks, ready to attend the monthly meeting of the Off the Hook Crochet Guild.

One member did a presentation of her adventures in Bruges lace crochet, and the example she passed around (done in size 20 thread) inspired me to try to make one of the central motifs with worsted weight yarn and an H-hook. By the end of the meeting, I had gotten this far:

A hyperbolic flower

While I have yet to find the item I was in search of when I began this adventure in organizing, I have certainly found a number of things along the way that I am delighted to have discovered and rediscovered, and the Quadrant blanket is definitely one of them.

Join the loveliness
Subscribe to Crochetbug via e-mail. Fill out this form, then click the link you will receive by e-mail.
Share

One thought on “Day 7: in which I clean out a cubby and revisit the long dormant quadrant blanket

Comments are closed.