Ground control to table top

After a number of days where it seemed I was making no progress of note, I finally hit table top on what I think of as my crochet command center.

Just last night, here is how it looked:

crochetbug, crochet command center
My crochet command center in need of clearing

I had two bags of crochet pieces into which I had sorted like with like which means that the Swatch bag is filled with pieces of designs I have created and for which I have yet to write the pattern, and the clear bag contains crocheted pieces of projects I have yet to complete, but which are not my own design.

There is (or should I say, were) a lot of yarn scraps. At the time it didn’t seem to me that I would ever get to the bottom of it, but today, at some point shortly after lunch, I finally had most of the table top cleared, and the only things still on it were things that belonged there, not the least of which was the template for the center panel and some of the crochet pieces that will fill it:

crochetbug, crochet command center
The crochet command center, cleared and ready for action

I even got the dresser that houses my most precious and important crochet tools (along with a secret stash of cookies for those times that nothing but a cookie will do):

crochetbug, crochet tools,
The dresser where my most important crochet tools are housed

One of the things I found along the way was this not quite finished piece that was supposed to be a sheep:

crochetbug, crochet crazy quilt piece, embroidery on crochet, French knots
An almost completed French knot sheep

I had been inspired by an embroidered sheep I had come across last year while I was looking for ideas to decorate my crochet crazy pieces, and today, in an effort to generate some finishing mojo and turn my cleaning energy into crafting energy, and to some degree, I succeeded, finishing the sheep:

crochetbug, crochet crazy quilt piece, embroidery on crochet, French knots
The French knot sheep finally finished

With the sheep done, I moved onto crocheting more pieces for the center panel.

When I had had the pieces laid out on my deck the other day, I saw that the pieces I had been making were getting progressively smaller. It looked good up close, but from a distance, it looked visually incoherent, so I decided I needed to make a concerted effort to make larger pieces.

Using an index card, I made a template for the projected crochet piece:

crochetbug, crochet triangle, crochet crazy quilt piece, crochet piece
A template for a crochet triangle

and then to my delight and surprise, after just one episode of frogging, I had a piece that both fit and was about the size of three pieces of my previous efforts:

crochetbug, crochet triangle, crochet crazy quilt piece, crochet piece, crochet triangle
The resulting crochet triangle

Getting myself back on track has not been straight forward or easy, but it finally feels like I am, and as I am down to the last seventeen full days it’s not a moment too soon.

Share